Concert hall rentals
Individuals and organisations may rent Clara, Pollack, Redpath or Tanna halls for events. Rental and other hall information is available on each hall web page:
General hall usage policies and regulations
These regulations were issued under the authority of the Vice-Principal, Administration and Finance, and their enforcement delegated to the Building Director of each hall. The regulations are applicable to all staff, students and non-University users who make use of the concert hall facilities.
All national and provincial safety codes, all city by-laws and directives from the Montreal Fire Prevention Bureau and all pertinent McGill University general regulations will be enforced at all times. Jurisdiction with regard to the enforcement of fire and safety regulations is delegated to the University Fire Marshall and the University Industrial Safety Office. Day-to-day supervision with respect to fire and preservation of the premises will be exercised by the Building Director of each hall or his delegate.
The use of technical facilities (lighting, public address system, electrical equipment, as well as stage and backstage equipment of all kinds) pertaining to the hall itself will be supervised by the Stage Manager. These facilities will be operated by trained and authorised personnel only, under the supervision of the Stage Manager. The choice and number of personnel for technical, safety and security purposes are the prerogative of the University.
The lessee is responsible for appropriate insurance coverage acceptable to the University for all damages and liabilities resulting from the event.
Alterations or changes to the integral system of the Hall (lighting, theatrical lighting, ventilation, sound, intercom, electrical power, catwalks, etc.) will not be undertaken without assistance from the Department of Physical Plant. Under no circumstances may holes be made for any purpose in the walls, floors or ceilings of the Hall without the approval of the Department of Physical Plant.
In accordance with Quebec law and McGill University regulations, smoking is forbidden at all times in all areas of the hall and the building in which the hall is located.
The consumption of food and beverages is forbidden in the Hall proper and on the stage during all performances and rehearsals. On occasions such as receptions, etc., the consumption of food and beverages will be permitted in the predetermined designated area.
Access to the attic area and to the mechanical room area is permitted only by personnel authorised by the Department of Physical Plant. Personnel must wear safety harnesses at all times while working in the catwalk area.
- The pianos in all concert locations as well as in the Multimedia Room are maintained at a standardized pitch determined by the Concert Piano Technician (A442). Pitch of the School’s pianos will not be altered under any circumstances for either internal or external users.
- Voicing and regulation are appropriate to each instrument and are determined by the Concert Piano Technician. No requests for modification of voicing and regulation will be considered.
- Pianos in concert locations will be serviced only by technicians of the Schulich School of Music or their designated replacements.
- Any case not covered by the above must be referred to the Piano Committee and agreed to before the signing of a rental agreement for one of the halls or before the date of the first scheduled rehearsal.
- For playing in the piano and for other extended piano techniques, only the following actions are allowed (see individual concert hall technical specs for exceptions):
- pizzicato, with the fingertip or the fingernail only
- silent depressed keys
- All requests for the use of the Redpath Hall Wolff organ must be submitted to the Organ & Church Music Area Chair via the Production Coordinator.
- The instrument will be serviced only by technicians of the Schulich School of Music or their designated replacements.
- All requests for the use of the Schulich School of Music harpsichords must be submitted to the Early Music Area Chair via the Production Coordinator. The Area Chair will determine which instrument is available and appropriate to the selected repertoire.
- When approved, the Production Coordinator will coordinate the move of the instrument(s) with the harpsichord technician, such move to be charged to the client.
- The instruments will be serviced only by technicians of the Schulich School of Music or their designated replacements.
- All requests for the use of the Schulich School of Music percussion instruments must be submitted to the Percussion Area Chair via the Production Coordinator.
- When approved, the Production Coordinator will coordinate the move of the instruments, such move to be charged to the client.
Communications and Production offers a complete ticket sales service, and will accept Visa, MasterCard and debit cards. The box office is open during the academic year (September to April) and is located at 555 Sherbrooke St. West (514-398-4547).
Tickets can be put on sale once the contract has been signed and the appropriate deposit has been paid. This service is included in the basic rental fee. However, the lessee is responsible for the following fees: all tax reporting; transaction fees of total purchases made by credit and debit card; for each ticket bought in person at our ticket outlet, or by phone, a service fee per ticket will be charged to the client. A postal service is also available to the consumers. All these fees are listed in the Fee Schedule.
Anyone choosing to use this service must complete the Box Office request form Office Request form no later than two months before their event.