2016-2017 Competition dates
- Application deadline: Friday, November 18, 2016
- Competition date: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 (Tanna Schulich Recital Hall)
Overview and prizes
The Chamber Music Competition is open to undergraduate and graduate students. Up to two prizes are awarded at the discretion of the jury (taking into account budgetary considerations and scheduling):
- A 5-7 day residence at the Mozarteum in Salzburg
- A 4-5 day residence at a European Conservatory member of the ConNext group (to be confirmed)
Ensembles will be coached by several members of the host school and, where possible, a performance will be scheduled.
The prizes include travel allowance of up to a maximum of $1800 per person, with extra compensation for a musician travelling with an instrument. The local institution will provide recommendations for inexpensive accommodation.
Information for applicants
Any group of between 3-5 instrumentalists who have taken MUEN 560, 561, or 568 (string, brass, wind, and mixed ensemble with piano) in the Fall 2016 semester and received coaching for the entire semester is eligible to apply.
- Residence should be planned for the Winter semester 2017 and should be completed by July 2017.
- Graduate students awarded this scholarship will not be eligible for additional GREAT funding for this trip.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded (ie, no cash equivalent).
Present 1 complete piece, plus at least one movement of a contrasting piece. Depending on the number of applications received, either a complete work or excerpts of a specified duration will be confirmed on the final schedule.
- Fill out and submit the application form, available on the chamber music board outside C515 (Strathcona Music Building) by the deadline of Friday November 18th, 2016.
- Include the names of members, repertoire to be performed, and coach’s signature.