2019-2020 Competition dates
- Application deadline: Friday, November 22, 2019
- Competition date: December 3, 2019 at 7:30 pm at Christ Church Cathedral
Overview and prizes
Up to TWO prizes to be awarded at the discretion of the jury (taking into account budgetary considerations and scheduling):
- A 5-7 day residence at the Mozarteum in Salzburg
- Ensembles will be coached by several members of the host school.
- Residence should be planned for the Winter semester 2020 and should be completed by July 2020.
- Where possible, a performance will also be scheduled
- The local institution will help by providing recommendations for inexpensive accommodation.
- Travel allowance will be a maximum of $1800 per person, with extra compensation for a musician travelling with an instrument. Graduate students awarded this scholarship will not be eligible for additional GREAT funding for this trip
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded (ie, no cash equivalent)
- A winner’s recital at Rothesay Netherwood School, St. John, New Brunswick (Winter 2020)
Information for applicants
- The winner of the 2019-2020 Chamber Music Competition will be awarded a $1000 prize, kindly provided by an anonymous donor.
- Repertoire Requirements: 1 complete piece, plus at least one movement of a contrasting piece.
- Two rounds will take place:
- Preliminary Round: 2pm-5pm
- Final Round: 7:30pm-10:30pm
- At the preliminary round, depending on the number of applications received, either a complete work or excerpts of a specified duration will be confirmed on the competition schedule.
- 4 groups will be selected for the final round and each group will perform the full program in its entirety.
- A list of finalists will be posted as soon as possible following the first round.
Any group of between 3-5 instrumentalists who have taken MUEN 560, 561, or 568 (string, brass, wind, and mixed ensemble with piano) in the Fall 2019 semester and received coaching for the entire semester.
- Residence should be planned for the Winter semester 2019 and should be completed by July 2019.
- Graduate students awarded this scholarship will not be eligible for additional GREAT funding for this trip.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded (ie, no cash equivalent).
- Fill out and submit the application form, available on the chamber music board outside C515 (Strathcona Music Building) by the deadline of Friday November 23rd, 2018.
- Include the names of members, repertoire to be performed, and coach’s signature.
Application Form: 2019 CHAMBER MUSIC COMPETITION APPLICATION FORM
- Due on Friday, November 22nd, 2019
- Please send the completed application form to chamber.music [at] mcgill.ca (subject: CHAMBER%20MUSIC%20COMPETITION%20APPLICATION) with the Subject “CHAMBER MUSIC COMPETITION APPLICATION”