2019-2020 Competition dates
- Application deadline: TBA
- Competition date: TBA
Overview and prizes
The Chamber Music Competition is open to undergraduate and graduate students. Up to three prizes are awarded at the discretion of the jury (taking into account budgetary considerations and scheduling):
- A 5-7 day residence at the Mozarteum in Salzburg
- A 4-5 day residence at a European Conservatory member of the ConNext group (to be confirmed)
- A one-week residence at the Sibelius Academy Summer Institute for Winds Ensembles will be coached by several members of the host school and, where possible, a performance will be scheduled.
The prizes include travel allowance of up to a maximum of $1800 per person, with extra compensation for a musician traveling with an instrument. The local institution will provide recommendations for inexpensive accommodation.
Information for applicants
Any group of between 3-5 instrumentalists who have taken MUEN 560, 561, or 568 (string, brass, wind, and mixed ensemble with piano) in the Fall 2018 semester and received coaching for the entire semester is eligible to apply.
- Residence should be planned for the Winter semester 2019 and should be completed by July 2019.
- Graduate students awarded this scholarship will not be eligible for additional GREAT funding for this trip.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded (ie, no cash equivalent).
Prof. Stephane Lemelin, Chair, Department of Performance
Prof. Anne Robert (Conservatoire de musique de Montreal)
Prof. Violaine Melançon
Prof. Axel Strauss
Jury Chair : Prof. Douglas McNabney, Associate Dean and Chamber Music Coordinator
Present 1 complete piece, plus at least one movement of a contrasting piece. Depending on the number of applications received, either a complete work or excerpts of a specified duration will be confirmed on the final schedule.
- Fill out and submit the application form, available on the chamber music board outside C515 (Strathcona Music Building) by the deadline of Friday November 23rd, 2018.
- Include the names of members, repertoire to be performed, and coach’s signature.