The Schulich School of Music offers financial support for undergraduate students to pursue EEOs. EEOs are learning opportunities outside the classroom that will enhance your educational experience. They often involve national or international travel.
Completed EEO projects can be added to your Co-Curricular Record (CCR).
If a deadline falls on a weekend, you can apply through to the following Monday at 4:00pm.
- March 15: For projects to be carried out between May 15th and September 14th
June 15August 15 (extended application deadline for fall activities): For projects to be carried out between September 15th and January 14th
- December 1: For projects to be carried out between January 15th and May 14th
Decisions will be announced within three weeks of each deadline.
- Apply online and include the following information:
- Project description (PDF) Letter of invitation or acceptance if relevant (PDF)
- Budget (fill out directly on form)
- Letter of support from a faculty member (PDF)
If you receive EEO funding, you must submit the following to the School of Music studentaffairs.music [at] mcgill.ca (subject: EEO%20for%20Undergraduates%20Report) (Student Affairs Office) within 2 months of completing your project:
- A short report on the program and its value to you
- Proof attendance
Amount and disbursement of funds
EEO funding amounts vary and are unlikely to cover the full cost of your project. Funding will not normally exceed $1000.
- Funding for airfare is usually limited to $500 for continental travel or $800 for intercontinental travel.
- Funds are released in the form of an award before the start date of your project.
- When preparing the budget for your application, you should consider the degree to which the feasibility of your project is dependent on receiving EEO funding.
- You may submit an EEO application for an activity which is pending approval from a host organization. If your EEO request is approved, we advise that you do not spend the fund before you receive confirmation from your host organization that you can participate in the activity for which you have applied.
To be considered for EEO funding, you must:
- Be enrolled full-time in a B.Mus., B.Mus./B.Ed. or L.Mus. program at McGill University.
- Be returning to your studies at McGill after finishing your EEO project.
Eligible EEO projects include:
- Travel to international competitions
- Participation in recognized festivals and academies, workshops, and conferences in music performance, composition and research
- Travel to professional and academic conferences
- Research travel for special projects
- Travel for recognized unpaid internships
- Other projects of demonstrable benefit to your education and professional development
You might also be eligible for need-based EEO financial aid. This is offered through McGill's Student Aid Office.
Applications are reviewed by the Associate Dean (Academic and Student Affairs) in consultation with the relevant Department Chairs (Performance and Music Research). Selection criteria includes:
- Completeness of the application
- Academic standing
- Quality of the project
- Availability of funds